Sunday 25 September 2011

Negative progress?

I need to make an occasional progress report.  Near-completion of a tough Astrophysics module ought to qualify, but instead I feel less in touch with my thoughts from the start of this blog, and barely scratching the surface of the formal subject.
However, my course has now broadened to include more basics of physics, more formal maths, and so it is more realistic that I can take on the ability to understand, calculate and articulate the issues.  And though a Masters or higher is far too soon to contemplate, it is clearly the only route towards tackling my objectives.
I am still puzzled that the identification of space-time as a four-dimensional world defined by Special Relativity has not developed into the acceptance of perturbed/folded space-time as the five-dimensional world defined by General Relativity.  The evidence for this model is clear, taking the view of the ant walking the surface of an orange, that the surface indentations are the clue to the existence of the third dimension (up-down).
But in two years of formal study so far I am not yet in a position to ask the question of my peers or tutors.  I prefer first to have some answers, or further questions to follow-up initial answers.  Also of course I am concerned that the question may be ridiculous.  The answer of course is that I need to be able to understand the answers, and with several specific modules including maths, QP, EM to go, it will take some time yet.
Meanwhile all this formal study is squeezing the original naive ideas out, well maybe that is the "right thing", but I owe it to myself to maintain and develop them, if only to have something to identify and formally bury when the time comes.
Meantime I have just read some module material that is disturbing for physics, and encouraging for the side view, regarding the "end of physics".  The idea that a unified theory may not get us much further forward is very sad.  Having spent pages explaining the non-determinism of QP, it then rues the fact that a theory will not enable us to predict the exact starrting condition or eventual outcome of the world.  How banal!  The question of knowing the shape of the universe, and all relating to its existence, origin, insight into its raison d'etre appears irrelevant to teaching the formal subject.  We'll see about that . .

No comments:

Post a Comment